The meaning of life is something that has been discussed since the beginning of time itself.
There have been various answers to this question:
1. There is no meaning to life
2. We make our own meaning, so that each individual has their own meaning
3. There might be a meaning to life, but the question is meaningless because we can’t answer it or we’ll never know.
4. The meaning of life is to be happy and/or treat others the way you want to be treated (be a good person)
5. The meaning of life is to know God personally and serve him in everything you do. God is a friend, king, and lord.
6. The meaning of life is to gain as much knowledge and wisdom as possible
Certainly, there could be variations of my list. But for the most part these are the only options.
If there is a meaning to life, then how do we go about determining which one is the most correct?
Well we have to look at the evidence and see which solution makes the most sense. Obviously if someone said that the meaning of life is “2”, they are wrong.
If someone says that the meaning of life is to be a good person, that is a more plausible answer than “2”
Certainly we can agree that certain things are good, without committing ourselves to saying they are the meaning to life.
Through the process of elimination we can determine what the meaning of life is as well.
1. W, X, Y, Z
2. Not W, X, Y
3. Therefore Z
I believe the evidence points to the meaning of life being to know God personally and be in a relationship with Him. It’s the only one that makes the most sense if there is a meaning to life. Certainly, I could be wrong. And certainly the other things I listed are good things like wisdom, being a good person, happiness and joy, etc.