What is the difference between philosophy and pseudophilosophy?
Here’s a list of the differences:
1. Philosophy is about discovery. Pseudophilosophy is about defending one’s already held views.
2. Philosophy is about following the truth wherever it leads. Pseudophilosophy is truth-denying.
3. Philosophy doesn’t care about convincing someone by any means necessary. Pseudophilosophy embraces bullshit.
4. Philosophy can be an artistic and fun. Pseduophilosophy is concerned with winning arguments like a lawyer or politician.
5. Philosophy distinguishes speculation from evidence and pure reason from demonstration. Psuedophilosophy doesn’t acknowledge the limits of human understanding.
6. Philosophy welcomes empirical data and natural science. Pseudophilosophy tosses around terms like “scientism” more than a beachball gets tossed around at a Nickelback concert.
7. Philosophy is about being clear and not using mysterious language. Psuedophilosophy is all about the use of confusing language.
8. Philosophy is about balancing being both skeptical and open-minded. Pseudophilosophy is about pretending to know things you don’t know or can’t know.